So, you've read a little about us, you've reviewed our catalog, and you've checked out our authors. Now, you're thinking about writing (or simply finishing) your book, and you want to learn more about being a Knave author. Congratulations, you're taking the first steps towards publishing your work!
If you are ready to jump in, please drop us a line. Pull together the current draft of your manuscript, check out our submission guidelines below and use the form at the bottom of this page to send us a copy. Don't worry. Your work is still uniquely and entirely yours. The review process just give our team a chance to see where you are, both in the writing process and in your writing career. We receive or claim no rights to your work and will not use it in any way, other than to provide you with confidential feedback.
If you have questions or concerns before you submit, please contact us at any times.
We look forward to hearing from you!
At Knave Publishing, we know what we do best. We build genuine connections with other authors — in the most direct terms — based upon of the genre or genres in which an author writes. So, what are we looking for in a new manuscript?
We work best with titles in one of the following genres: mysteries, thrillers, horror, fantasy, science fiction, alt history and young adult speculative fiction. Genres that fall outside our collective experience include romance and non-fiction.
So, what does our team love to read?
- Mysteries are a passion among many of the Knave team members. We love quaint English cozies, gritty noir private investigator tales, big city police procedurals and just about any other style that comes with a good body count and a gripping conclusion.
- Compelling thrillers that keep us on the edge of our collective seats. Twisty turns that spring us from one exciting set piece to the next are a must. So too, however, is character development and emotional impact.
- Classic horror tales that will keep us up after dark. From atmospheric Gothic tales to blood-soaked urban nightmares, make sure we don’t sleep for a week.
- Innovative fantasy, science fiction and alt history that reaches beyond the genres’ traditional Tolkien or Heinlein roots. If you have something new to add, we’d love to take a look.
- Whatever the genre, give it depth, strong characters, tight pacing and a narrative pulse that pushes us to read just one more page.
Other submission guidelines to keep in mind:
- We request a minimum of 60,000 words for the completed manuscript.
- We kindly request that authors submit a single manuscript.
- We also request that submissions are sent to Knave only. We try to provide a quick response so that authors, if necessary, can then move on to another press.
- We require all submissions to be in either a Microsoft Word .doc or .docx file format.
- We only accept manuscripts in English.
Red flags you may need to keep an eye on:
- We are all adults here, but let’s be clear. Sex, gore and profanity are just fine — when they suit the story and serve to propel the narrative forward. Keep in mind that it’s not the act, it’s the anticipation that keep a reader reading.
- We do not accept uncompleted manuscripts, serialized novels, novellas, short stories, multiple stories and poetry. There is nothing wrong with any of these, they just don’t work well at Knave.
- Due to the extensive work required to design, playtest and source new games, we are currently not accepting unsolicited game submissions.
So, if you are ready to send in your manuscript, please submit the following
- A short (less than one page) summary of your book, including the ending.
- The first three (3) chapters of your work.
- A short bio of you as an author (no pictures, please)
- A Microsoft Word .doc or .docx file.
- Your manuscript formatted with 12 point type, Arial or Times New Roman, double spaced and one-inch margins.